Can not play an .mp4 video from the command line

jzullo
4kOpen Owner: Yes
Can not play an .mp4 video from the command line

Post by jzullo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:11 am

I have created a new Raspbian image (2019-02-12-4kopen-raspbian.img.gz) on an SDCard, and booted up the 4KOpen board with the SDCard. Since this is the only image that is provided, I figured this path is the quickest to start testing media capabilities on the board.

Then I copy over an .mp4 video I use for testing called "Timecode_1080p30_60secs.mp4" (which only has a single video stream, no audio)

I can play this video with the "Parole" application from the command line, and it plays as expected, but with the following being printed in the terminal:

Code: Select all

shared memfd open() failed: Function not implemented
Then I try to play the same video but using the wiki's suggestion of using gst-apps, but this sort of fails with the following output:

Code: Select all

GST-APPS version : v2.27.8

(gst-plugin-scanner:1669): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstrtmp.so': libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gst-plugin-scanner:1669): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstdtls.so': libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gst-plugin-scanner:1669): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstcurl.so': libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gst-plugin-scanner:1669): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgsthls.so': libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
GStreamer 1.10.4
shared memfd open() failed: Function not implemented
Playing file Timecode_1080p30_60secs.mp4
Received ASYNC DONE on bus - 1 video, 0 audio, 0 subtitle
<Speed: 1X | Time: 0:00:59.866655556 / 0:01:00.000000000>
End of stream ---> Press 'q' or Press 'stop' to quit
q
Stopping the pipeline...
I can see the "Time" advancing from 0 to 60 as if it is playing, but there is nothing displayed on the HDMI output.
I have run the command locally on the board, and remotely through an SSH session (with an export DISPLAY=:0), but I get the same results on both.

The SDCard has be re-written x3 times, and each time I get the same results.

Is there something wrong with the published Raspbian image? Should I switch over and build a Starkl image (and will this work correctly)?

nick.beck
Re: Can not play an .mp4 video from the command line

Post by nick.beck » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:10 am

Hi,

Parole sets up colour-keying for its window that the video is to be displayed within. However, when using gst-apps this does not happen automatically, instead you need set the alpha value of the graphics plane or set a colour-key. The easiest way is to set the alpha of the graphics plane with the following command:

stfbset -a 0

MattMunro
Re: Can not play an .mp4 video from the command line

Post by MattMunro » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:13 am

Hi,
As a quick addition a similar topic was covered here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10 encase that asks any questions or gives any answers that may help!
Thanks,
Matt