More than (2) simultaneous videos playing

jzullo
4kOpen Owner: Yes
More than (2) simultaneous videos playing

Post by jzullo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:33 pm

I am currently struggling to get more than two simultaneous 1080p videos to display on the screen at one time. I can get up to two videos playing (decoded, scaled and rendered with GStreamer), I can also get one video and the HDMI-RX also working in parallel, both decoded, scaled and rendered. The ultimate goal is to get four videos all playing in parallel in a quadrant view.

It was mentioned in passing that I might have to do a decode of the video to YUV, and then do a color-space conversion with the CPU from YUV to RGB, and then utilize the "Blitter" to scale and blit the frame to an RGB plane. But I do not know how to do this with this board.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, either with sample code, or links to documents that might help me further along this evaluation.

Thanks.

andy
4kOpen Owner: Yes
Re: More than (2) simultaneous videos playing

Post by andy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:24 pm

You can find an example of using V4L2 to capture the output from the video decoder and then use directfb to use the "Blitter" to render the output to the screen in the build directory of starkl:

outputs/starkl-custom/buildroot/build/test-utils-1.70.22/src/applications/grab_all

Note the colour space conversion can be handled in the V4L2 capture so does not require and CPU cycles. Also the graphics planes support UYVY format which can be used to reduce the bandwidth required.

We can also provide an example application in binary which supports this method to render 4 decodes in a quadrant view to help with you evaluation.